Thursday, May 20, 2010

Waiting in Camp 2

Seriously high winds on Everest. Some of the strongest winds I have seen. We
can hear the jet stream just above us ripping at the summit right now. We
had plans to move up to C3 today, and onto the South Col on the 21st. So
much for that! The whole upper mountain is being raked by winds of 50 to 100
mph. We went for a short walk this morning with hopes the winds could drop,
but only 1 hour out of camp it became quite clear that we were only going
for a short hike and not to the top of Everest this time. Everything looks
better for the 23rd now so that's our new focus. Our forecasts are looking
like the Cyclone will be bringing moisture to the Everest region around the
24 and 25th now. So another rest day in camp 2 playing cards, listening to
the wind and getting ready for tomorrow. Quite a few people moved to
C3today, we counted over 50. Although the winds have definitely increased
now, so our guess is some if not most will change plans and come down today.
Camp 3 is disappearing in huge waves of blowing snow from the South Col all
the way across the Lhotse Face to Lhotse Summit. Very impressive to see, not
to be in!

Photos from below the Lhotse Face this morning.

Scott Woolums reporting from Camp 2, 21,500ft., Everest.

No comments:

Post a Comment