Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Just down from Camp 3!

Wahoo! A huge day today. Up to Camp 3 at 24,000 ft.. Everyone did super well
up the lower part of Lhotse Face and back. Leaving Camp 2 here at 5 am, we
moved over to the base of the Lhotse Face and then started up. Good
conditions allowed us easier climbing up to Camp 3. Most everyone setting
new personal altitude records today. Very warm and no wind made for an
enjoyable day, at least as enjoyable as climbing above 7000 meters can be!

We are all back safe in Camp 2 now, and will probably be up here for one
more night before heading down to Base Camp and on down lower for a much
deserved break from being up high for almost 2 weeks. So this is the end of
our second rotation before coming back up to summit. Now it becomes a
waiting game, watching the weather close and making sure all Oxygen and
supplies are in place. A tough job, but the sherpas are on it. Today
multiple loads went up to the South Col.

No hurry here as the fixed lines have not been put in above the South Col.
Also the weather has taken an unstable turn and continues to snow and blow
most afternoons. We are looking for consistent, low wind pre monsoon
patterns that normally bring warmer and more predictable weather to Everest!

Scott Woolums reporting from Camp 2 , Mt. Everest.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Off to Camp 3 Tomorrow!

Everything is set for our first trip to Camp 3 at 24,000 ft. A big day
actually. We climbed to the base of the Lhotse Face today to around 22,500
ft.. Tomorrow its up the blue ice of Lhotse Face to C3. All reports say its
fixed well with both up and down ropes. Now if we can get some good weather
as it has been on and off snow and wind here in camp today. All our Sherpas
are carrying loads to the South Col also tomorrow at 26,000 ft. So we are up
early, sherpas are leaving at 1am, we are leaving at 5am. Standby for
tomorrows report!

Photo from base of Lhotse Face looking up at teams moving today in poor

Scott Woolums reporting from Camp 2, Everest!

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Storm in Camp 2!

Wahoo! Last night ws a bit rowdy with high winds and a lot of snow. No
sunshine this morning. FOrtunatly it was perfect timing as today is a rest
day for both us and the sherpas. Can here huge winds up towards the summit
right now. We have a very comfortable camp solife is ok, even with 30 knot
winds and snow.

Yesterday we came up from Base Camp directly to Camp 2. A tough hike, over
1000 meters vertical. Everyone was tired from that. Was incredibly hot
yesterday on the way up, quite a contrast to now.

Hope all is well at home with friends and family!

Cheers, Scott Woolums reporting from Camp 2, 21,500 ft., Mt. Everest!